OH, NOW DON’T THESE LOOK WONDERFUL!
THE PERFECT TIME TO WHIP UP A HOLIDAY TREAT THAT EVERYONE’S SURE TO LOVE!
Devil’s Food cake:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
marshmallow meringue frosting:
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ (4.4 ounce) Hershey bars, broken into 24 pieces
- 3 graham crackers, cut into 24 pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place all the ingredients for the cupcake batter into a large mixing bowl and whisk together until fully combined.
3. Line a cupcake tin with liners and fill each about ½ way full.
4. Place in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean when inserted into the center.
5. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
6. Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in an electric stand mixer fixed with a whisk attachment.
7. Beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until light and frothy.
8. Begin adding the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until fully incorporated.
9. Add the corn syrup and vanilla and beat until the mixture has become glossy and fluffy and stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes. (if you think the mixture looks glossy but soupy, keep beating!)
10. Scoop the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a round tip and pipe over the cooled cupcakes.
Note: If you don’t want to beat the frosting for a long time, you can shorten the whipping time by dissolving the sugar and lightly whipped egg whites over a double boiler before adding the mixture to a stand mixer.
recipe via: spoonforkbacon.com