Diamonds, pearls and precious stones from the French collection of crown jewels 1887.
The French Crown Jewels
(French: Joyaux de la Couronne de France) comprise the crowns, orb, sceptres, diadems and jewels that were symbols of Royal power between 752 and 1825.
These were worn by many Kings and Queens of France.
The set was finally broken up, with most of it sold off in 1885 by the Third French Republic.
The surviving French Crown Jewels, principally a set of historic crowns, diadems and parures, are mainly on display in the Galerie d’Apollon of the Louvre, France’s premier museum and former royal palace, together with the Regent Diamond, the Sancy Diamond and the 105-carat (21.0 g) Côte-de-Bretagne red spinel, carved into the form of a dragon.
In addition, some gemstones and jewels (including the Emerald of Saint Louis, the ‘Ruspoli’ sapphire and the diamond pins of Queen Marie Antoinette) are on display in the Treasury vault of the Mineralogy gallery in the Muséum national d’histoire naturelle.